SACOP serves as the organizing body for the individual state associations of chiefs of police. SACOP also functions as the coordinating body between the state associations and the IACP membership as a whole, facilitating the exchange and dissemination of information related to a host of important topics in law enforcement. SACOP works to:
- Create policy guidance on timely and relevant topics in law enforcement
- Facilitate and encourage dialogue between local law enforcement and our state and federal partners
- Provide tools and resources for members to manage their individual association more effectively
- Provide training programs and presentations on a wide array of subjects to our membership
- Create training projects and workshop topics generated from our membership
- Oversee the SafeShield Committee, which works to promote officer safety
- Oversee the Smaller Department Section to represent the unique needs of small and rural agencies
For more information, contact email@example.com.
Officer safety has always been an issue of paramount importance for the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP). As police leaders, the IACP membership understands that it is their responsibility to provide officers with the best training and equipment available in order to ensure their safety in the face of the numerous and varied threats they face each and every day. For these reasons, in 2002, the IACP Division of State Associations of Chiefs of Police (SACOP) created the SafeShield Initiative. Dedicated to protecting our nation’s law enforcement officers, SafeShield’s organizing philosophy is that law enforcement leaders cannot accept the proposition that accidents or injuries are a reality of the law enforcement profession. The only acceptable belief is zero officers killed or injured. SafeShield’s goals are as simple as they are critical: Identify problems and threats impacting officer safety and find solutions that incorporate improved policies, training, equipment, and uniforms. The SafeShield Committee is made up of committed IACP/SACOP members who are focused on officer safety. It is the belief of SafeShield that although Chiefs have limited control over dangerous situations an officer may face in the line of duty, they can control the outcomes through comprehensive planning, proper preparation, and the use of protective equipment.
Smaller Department Section
The Smaller Department Section is charged with identifying and responding to the needs of smaller law enforcement agencies (50 and fewer sworn officers and populations of 50,000 and fewer). These include, but are not limited to, policy issues, training, staffing, resource allocation, and the unique challenges confronting smaller law enforcement agencies. Closely aligned with the IACP Smaller Law Enforcement Agency Program, the section focuses on guidance for law enforcement executives, leadership and management, operations, community outreach, and more. This section, housed within the IACP Division of State Associations of Chiefs of Police (IACP/SACOP), emphasizes the role that SACOP plays in being the voice for local law enforcement and works to amplify the voice of the smaller agency. While housed in IACP/SACOP, this section is for all members of IACP who fit the above criteria and are interested in enhancing their department through participation in this section.
2021 Division Midyear
March 30, April, May 25, 2021 | Virtual Meeting
The Division of State and Provincial Police, Division of State Associations of Chiefs of Police, and Midsize Agencies Division held their joint midyear meeting virtually. This meeting provided an opportunity to discuss critical issues facing the law enforcement community, identify best practices, and enhance relationships with your colleagues.
2021 SACOP Division Annual Meeting
The 2021 SACOP Division Annual Meeting will be held in conjunction with the IACP 2021 Annual Conference & Exposition in New Orleans, Louisiana.
The tentative schedule of SACOP meetings during IACP 2021 is:
- Executive Directors - Friday, September 10, 2021 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Safeshield Committee - Saturday, September 11, 2021 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
- Executive Directors - Saturday, September 11, 2021 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Smaller Departments Section - Saturday, September 11, 2021 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
- Regional Breakouts - Saturday, September 11, 2021 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Safeshield Luncheon - Saturday, September 11, 2021 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Business Meeting - Saturday, September 11, 2021 1:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.