Embrace a guardian mindset.
Acknowledge past and present injustice and discrimination.
- Statement on Profession & Historical Injustices
NNSC Police Leaders Acknowledge Past Harm
Establish a culture of transparency and accountability.
- Restore Public Trust in Police
- Police Accountability
- San Francisco Panel on Accountability
- Chicago Police Accountability Task Force
- Building Trust with Communities
Promote internal legitimacy.
Strive for workforce diversity.
- Advancing Diversity
- Barriers to Diversity in Agencies
- Increasing Diversity in Departments
- Recognizing & Appreciating Diversity
- Police Force Diversity
- Griffith Police Expand Diversity
- Women in Law Enforcement
- New Demographics of Law Enforcement
- LA County Transgender & Gender Non-Conforming Employee Guide
- Diversity Coordinating Panel
Adopt procedural justice as the guiding principle for internal and external policies and practices.
- Respect & Legitimacy
- Building Relationships of Trust
- Managing Police Departments Post-Ferguson
- Predicting Procedural Justice in Police-Citizen Encounters
Community policing should be infused throughout the culture and organizational structure of law enforcement agencies.
- Community Policing Defined
- What Works in Community Policing
- Lincoln Community-Based Policing
- Evidence-Based Policing Matrix
Support a culture and practice of policing that reflects the values of protection and promotion of the dignity of all.
- Children of Arrested Parents Toolkit
- Racial Reconciliation, Police Legitimacy
- Protecting Privacy and Civil Rights
- Science of Good Police-Citizen Encounters
- Science-Based Approach
Law enforcement agencies should promote safety and wellness at every level of the organization.
- Health, Safety, & Wellness Programs
- Officer Safety and Wellness
- Officer Safety and Wellness Initiatives
- Law Enforcement Safety Resources
- Officer Safety and Wellness Group
- Center for Officer Safety and Wellness
Consider the implications of crime fighting strategies for maintaining community trust.
- Tribal Community Policing
- Reducing Violence on our Streets
- Implementing Problem-Oriented Policing
- Building Communities of Trust
- Effective Policing and Crime Prevention
- Drug Market Intervention
- Operation Hot Spot
- Legitimacy in Hot Spots Policing
- Legitimacy in Crime Hot Spots
- Hot Spots Policing
Encourage higher education for officers.
- Higher Education & Law Enforcement
- Education in Law Enforcement
- Impact of Higher Education on Officer Attitudes