Planning, Designing, and Constructing Police Facilities
An effective law enforcement agency evolves to meet the needs and demands of the community it serves. Many police agencies are housed in facilities that, while built for long-term service, have become inadequate for actual departmental functions. IACP provides resources and training to guide police executives and government project managers through the process of planning, designing, and constructing a new or renovated public safety facility.
Police Facilities Courses
Looking to design a new police facility or update your current building? The IACP offers in-person and virtual Planning, Designing, and Constructing Police Facilities courses for police chiefs, police planners, and local government administrators seeking a fuller understanding of the complexities of planning, designing, and constructing a modern police facility that meets both the department’s requirements and community’s needs.
At the conclusion of the course, participants should be able to do the following:
- Discuss planning considerations for facility construction
- Plan and budget for a new or redesigned police facility
- Plan special design features such as security, jails, and communications
- Apply principles of space allocation and traffic patterns
- Understand the implications of sustainable (green) design principles for 24/365 essential service buildings
- Develop effective client-architect relationships
- Identify life span and maintenance considerations for a facility
For more information, please contact our training staff at LeadershipServices@theiacp.org.
Attend a Course
Course Dates: November 2 - 4, 2021
Learn more and register
The IACP is offering a three day Planning, Designing, and Constructing Police Facilities Course led by public safety architects and police executives who have recently completed a police facility project. The course includes tours of police facilities, as well as candid discussions from police chiefs who have been through the process. The cost per participant is $550.00.
Please contact LeadershipServices@theiacp.org with any questions.