Peace Officers Memorial Day and Police Week in the United States provides a time to come together to recognize the law enforcement officers who lost their lives in the line of duty as well as a time to honor all of the law enforcement officers who protect and serve their communities each and every day. This year, we face global challenges that prevent us from celebrating in traditional ways, yet the reasons for Police Week remain clearer than ever.
Many agencies are finding creative ways to commemorate this week and honor fallen officers from their community and around the world. Here are some ways your agency and your community can still take part in Police Week:
- Host a virtual candlelight ceremony or memorial service – these can be conducted ahead of time or held live on a social media platform (such as Facebook Live)
- Hold a virtual roll call for the fallen officers in your agency – these can be held over your radio system or on a social media platform
- Produce a commemorative video that honors the fallen officers in your agency
- Post remembrances on social media – this provides community members the opportunity to share these remembrances as well
- Have members of your community run a virtual 5k – this is a great way to get the community involved, you may even consider using a hashtag so people can engage with others that are participating.
These are just a few of the many ways to honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice. Thank you for your continued service to the profession and stay safe.