First-Line Leadership Training (FLL)
The First-Line Leadership (FLL) training program is designed to meet the needs of current and aspiring sworn and civilian first-line supervisors. FLL is offered as both a three-day in-person training and a six-week virtual training.
The First-Line Leadership (FLL) training program is a three-day training designed to meet the needs of current and aspiring leaders. FLL focuses on three elements of leadership – The Leader, The Follower, and The Situation.
Focus areas include:
- Understanding Good and Bad Leader Behavior
- Effective Leader Communication
- Understanding Human Motivation
- Effective Followership
- Emotional Intelligence
- Culture and Ethical Organizations
By the end of this course, attendees should have a set of strategies and tools to call upon when making decisions, inspiring followers, and achieving organizational goals.
For more information, please contact LeadershipServices@theIACP.org.
Attend an FLL Course
August 3 - September 11, 2020
Learn more and register.
Host an FLL Course for Your Agency
If you are interested in hosting a First-Line Leadership training event in your area, please reference the facilities checklist to ensure that you are able to meet the hosting requirements.
FLL training events are:
- Three days in length.
- Limited in size with up to 36 students per event.
- Interactive and intensive. The training will be delivered using a variety of interactive teaching methods whereby participants will be continuously engaged with trainers and other attendees. For enhanced learning, participants will also be required to complete pre and post-training assignments.
- Inclusive of participants from all ranks and agency sizes to provide opportunities for networking and information sharing.
- Taught by experienced law enforcement trainers using a peer-based model. Curriculum developed by program advisors who are subject matter experts with significant executive level law enforcement experience.
For information about how your department can host a training, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
“The First-Line Leadership Program provides a great introduction to leadership. It is great for newer leaders or those who aspire to be a leader. I appreciate the thought process of working to try to become a part of the solution instead of the problem.” – Vail, CO, Police Department
“All the material was personalized to our work through discussion and exercises. The training was interactive which led to great discussion and self-reflection into our current positions” – ATF, Denver Field Division
“I was able to identify my leadership style and areas needing improvement. There is always room to improve yourself is the most important thing I will take back to my agency” – North Charleston, SC, Police Department