Steps to be taken during an initial investigation include:
- Analyzing personal identifier to determine if they are real, synthetic, manipulated, or the result of theft or compromise.
- Recommending a fraud alert be placed on the victim’s credit accounts and reporting the crime to any of three credit reporting companies.
- Recommending the victim close accounts that have been tampered or opened fraudulently.
- Reporting the crime to each involved company by phone and writing.
- Filing a report with the Federal Trade Commission so the victim can have access to his or her personal information (https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/).