Reduce the amount of mail you receive that displays personal information by:
- Not receiving account statements in the mail. Many financial institutions offer electronic delivery of statements and many companies will send your bill electronically as well. Check with your financial institution for details.
- Paying bills online also eliminates the security risk of mailing paper checks.
- Not having canceled checks mailed to you. Many financial institutions allow you to view canceled checks online.
- Signing up for direct deposit to have your paychecks, dividends, tax refunds, and other deposits sent directly to your account without the need for a paper check.
- Opting out of pre-approved credit card offers by calling 1-888-567-8688. This will communicate your preference to all three of the major credit bureaus.
Shred financial documents, including credit card and other financial solicitations, before recycling them or throwing them away.