Each semester the IACP hires a select number of students (undergraduate and graduate) interested in supporting IACP’s mission of Serving the Leaders of Today by addressing cutting edge issues confronting law enforcement through advocacy, programs, research, training and other professional services while the IACP Develops the Leaders of Tomorrow by offering an opportunity for students to gain invaluable experience in a professional work environment and gain first-hand involvement with products and services that support the law enforcement community.
Internship assignments vary each semester due to the ever changing demands and priorities of the association; however, interns will be assigned to a single project or a portfolio of efforts in one of six IACP divisions:
• Center for Police Leadership and Training
• International Policing
• Law Enforcement Operations and Support
• Office of the Deputy Executive Director
• Partner Engagement and Outreach
• Research, Programs and Professional Services
Interns will also have the opportunity to participate in a ride-along with an area police department, take at least one educational field trip to a local agency (e.g., Alexandria Police Department, FBI Washington Field Office, ATF National Tracing Center, NCMEC, Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Training Academy), interact with local police officers and federal law enforcement agents assigned to the IACP through the Fellowship program, and participate in professional development opportunities, conferences, and meetings as they arise.
Internship semesters are 12 weeks in length.
Interns are able to work a flexible schedule up to 32 hours per week.
IACP Headquarters is located at 44 Canal Center Plaza, Suite 200 in Alexandria, Virginia. Approximately 20 minutes from downtown D.C.
Interns are paid $12.00/hour, unless their academic institution requires the internship be unpaid in order to receive academic credit. Housing, transportation, reserved parking or other benefits are not provided. There is a free shuttle bus to and from IACP Headquarters and the Braddock Road Metrorail Station located on the Blue/Yellow line.
Interns are responsible for maintaining any paperwork or requirements of their academic institution in order to receive academic credit. Non-credited internships are also accepted.
Qualifications & Eligibility
• Currently enrolled in a baccalaureate or graduate degree program at an accredited university, or a recent graduate (in the past six months).
• Minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average.
• Strong writing and interpersonal skills to interact with law enforcement, customers, supervisors, coworkers and fellow interns.
• Creative thinking and the ability to express ideas and opinions.
• Excellent computer skills.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Flexibility and the ability to multi-task.
International Students (requirements subject to change):
• Must be rolled at an accredited university in the United States on an F-1 Visa.
• Curricular Practical Training (CPT) must be authorized by the university.
• IACP must receive a cooperative agreement from the university.
• Possess a Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status showing that CPT is authorized.
• Application in English.
Dates and Deadlines
Summer 2014 Semester: May 19th – August 8th
Application Deadline: Sunday, April 6th, 2014
Fall 2014 Semester: September 2nd – November 21st
Application Deadline: Sunday, July 27th, 2014
Spring 2015 Semester: January 12th – April 4th
Application Deadline: Sunday, November 30th, 2014
Summer 2015 Semester: May 18th – August 7th
Application Deadline: Sunday, April 5th, 2015
How to Apply
Submit the following five application documents by the deadline to be considered. Files combined into a single PDF preferred.
1. Cover Letter (indicate the semester you are applying for)
3. Academic Transcript (can be unofficial or student copy)
4. Writing Sample
5. Letter of Recommendation
Applications can be mailed or e-mailed to:
International Association of Chiefs of Police
44 Canal Center Plaza, Suite 200
Alexandria, VA 22314
For more information please contact Ryan Daugirda at email@example.com or call 1-800-843-4227 ext. 851.