Chief Dave Cameron Award for Excellence in Environmental Crimes Enforcement & Education
The IACP Environmental Crimes Committee Chief Dave Cameron Award recognizes excellence in environmental crimes enforcement and education by
The award honors David Cameron, chief of police in Jackson, Wyoming, from 1992 until his untimely death in April 2001. Through his professionalism, dedication, and personality, Dave Cameron positively affected law enforcement worldwide while serving as chairman of the IACP Environmental Crimes Committee from 1992 to 2001 and member of the IACP Executive Committee from 1992 to 2001.
law enforcement officers and their agencies.
The award will be presented to full-service law enforcement agencies that work to enforce environmental crimes, educate the public, and safeguard law enforcement. Programs or initiatives must have been started no later than one year prior to submission for consideration. The timeframe for the 2013 Chief Dave Cameron Award for Excellence in Environmental Crimes Enforcement & Education is March 15, 2012 to March 15, 2013.
Nominees will be evaluated based on the following elements:
- The significance of the contribution to the advancement of environmental crime enforcement, public education, and safeguarding the public and law enforcement personnel
- Issues and problems identified, and the methodology used for problem resolution
- Initiative and innovation
- Permanency of the program
- Development of quality assurance and performance metrics
- Level, type, and quality of education and communications established
- Executive leadership demonstrated
- Resolution of problems identified
The application package must include the following:
- Application form signed by the chief or agency head of the nominating agency
- Narrative description (no more than three pages) of the specific circumstance involving excellence in environmental crimes and education
- Supplemental material such as departmental citations, letters of commendation, and newspaper clippings. Note that videotapes, DVDs/CDs, and photos are welcome, but will not be returned.
IACP Environmental Crimes Committee will be responsible for reviewing the applications and selecting the winner.
The administrative application form and a narrative description (no more than three pages) of the reasons the nominee is being recommended for the award must be submitted to the IACP Environmental Crimes Committee no later than May 31, 2013.
Each nomination must be endorsed by the chief executive of the nominated law enforcement IACP Environmental Crimes Committee Chief Dave Cameron Award agency.
Click here to download the Award Nomination Package in PDF Format.
AWARD NOTIFICATION AND PRESENTATION
The announcement of the winner and the award presentation will occur at the Annual IACP Conference and Exposition, to be held in Philadelphia, PA, October 19-23, 2013.
2013: Santa Rosa California Police Department. Click here to read the nomination in PDF. Click here to see a photo of the award presentation
2012: City of Houston Texas Click here to read the nomination in PDF. Click here to see a photo of the award presentation
2011: Wildlife Crime Control Bureau, Ministry of Environment & Forests, Government of India Click here to read the nomination form in PDF.
For more information, please contact Richard Lisko at 800-THE-IACP ext. 234.