The Police Officer’s Guide to Recovered Firearms app is designed specifically for law enforcement officers to aid with processing recovered firearms while in the field and can be downloaded for free. The app features information on:
- Firearms safety
- Identifying markings on a revolver, pistol, rifle, and shotgun
- A visual guide to a variety of firearms
- Using the NCIC gun file
- Tracing firearms and utilizing ATF’s National Tracing Center (e-Trace)
- Identifying persons prohibited by federal law from possessing firearms
- Questions to ask unlawful firearms possessors
- Updates on news and no/low cost training opportunities through the IACP Twitter and News feeds
Access the guide by scanning the QR code using a web-enabled mobile device. Users can download free QR reading software. Check your device’s app store for available QR readers. If you cannot access the QR code, visit http://myappsinfo.com/recoveredfirearms/
The Police Officer’s Guide to Recovered Firearms app is a critical tool to help officers properly identify and describe guns associated with crimes, which will result in more complete reports, and ultimately help prosecutors build a stronger case against armed criminals.
This app was developed through a partnership between the International Association of Chiefs of Police, the Bureau of Justice Assistance, Project Safe Neighborhoods, the IACP Firearms Committee and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
For more information, please contact: